Various events and every day happenings of our quiet life in Port Orange, FL.
Includes community events, travel, home projects, food, gardening and a lot of our pup Rufus.



Thursday, March 5, 2009

AmCon show

Today my Aunt and I went over to Orlando to check out the AmCon show, a contact manufacturing trade show. So first we took lovely I-4 through Orlando and arrived at the HUGE Orange County Convention Center. It actually took us longer to drive there and walk from parking to the hall than we were actually at the show. There were maybe 100 exhibitors, most from around Florida. Being a job shop show, there were plenty of machine shops, both milling operations and stamping and forming to plastics and gasket mfgs, software and enclosures - a good mix of industries offering prototypes to production parts.
After the show, we stopped at Sweet Tomatoes for lunch. Discovered a new location on Kirkman and I-drive. Maybe not new new, but new to me! It was delicious as always! This month's special was another comfort food favorite, grilled cheese and tomato soup, but with a Sweet Tomatoe's twist - the BEST creamy tomato soup I've ever had paired with an interesting idea, grilled cheese focaccia. Interesting, but good. If you've ever been to a Sweet Tomatoes or Soup Plantation, you know everything is always good. I managed to remember to take a pic of my plate after taking a few bites. First, notice the 'I'll be Ripe back' note, cute idea to let the server know you've gone for seconds (or thirds) and will be coming back. The flip side says 'See You Next Thyme' - cute, huh? This is my nice big salad with some of the bread options and a really tasty new drink, pomegranate green tea. I was hesitant to get anything other than my beloved strawberry lemonade, but it sounded good and it was. In addition to everything seen here, I also tasted the french onion soup, creamy tomato soup, tomatoe basil penne, andouille sausage penne, mac and cheese, sourdough bread and topped it all off with red grapes and a little chocolate fro-yo with heath bar, peanut and caramel topping. Gosh, when I write it all down, it's no wonder I'm still feeling full! I wish there was a Sweet Tomatoe's closer than Altamonte, which is a 45-60 minute drive away. Oh well, it's something to look forward to when we go to Orlando.

No comments:

Post a Comment